We are looking for a manager to run the Red Café. The successful candidate will be responsible for its operational efficiency and standards in accordance with the values of the Trust. In partnership with our community development worker, the manager will continue the development of the café project. The post-holder will need confidence and be able to demonstrate sound organisational and communication skills.
Location and Hours
Currently the role will be based at The Phoenix Centre, Farrington Avenue, Bushey, where the café opens on a Saturday morning. It will also require some administration and management to be undertaken from home. The post holder will be required to have a flexible working arrangement. The role is initially scoped for 6 hours a week with the requirement for some flexibility for the post-holder to attend occasional evening or weekend meetings. There will be some flexibility to ensure it suits the successful candidate. The post holder would not necessarily be required to work every Saturday, but would need to ensure that there is a volunteer rota to make sure it is run effectively.
- Deliver and oversee an enjoyable, supportive and safe community space, in accordance with RTB’s vision and principles.
- Ensure café is open and ready for serving at the agreed opening times (currently 11:30-13:30 on Saturdays).
- Liaise with volunteers, setting rotas and having regular meetings to report back to Trustees.
- Ensure café is well stocked, working within a budget to make sure good value for money.
- Ensure expenses for food/material purchases are submitted to RTB treasurer on a monthly basis, conducting an accurate weekly record of donations.
- Ensure the café operates within applicable Health and Safety legislation, RTB Health and Safety Policy and Hertsmere Council hygiene directives; up to date risk assessments for the café, for both kitchen and front of house activities must be in place.
- Oversee filling in both the Phoenix Centre Accident Book and the Red Trust Bushey accident book, as appropriate.
- Work with the Red Trust team to update and produce promotional posters and flyers.
- Ensure social media posts (photos and text) are up to date and added weekly. This is especially important when thanking volunteers and members of the public who support us.
- Liaise with Phoenix Community Centre representatives on a regular basis, maintaining trust and a cooperative relationship.
Personal Attributes and Qualifications
- In sympathy with the Christian faith, able to uphold the Christian ethos of the organisation and work actively to support our vision and values as part of their job.
- Leadership abilities: must be able to motivate and manage RTB volunteers as well as demonstrating clear authority.
- Organisational skills: rotas, stock rotation, kitchen management, finance.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills: volunteers, customers and RTB trustees.
- Practical cooking and food preparation skills with the ability to be creative.
- Full UK drivers’ licence and access to a vehicle. The role requires conducting monthly shops, as well as picking up ‘best before’ offloads.
- Confident user of email and internet.
- Food Hygiene Level 2 Certificate: if not held, applicant will be required to undertake course prior to starting paid work
Terms and Conditions
The detailed terms and conditions will be contained in the post-holder’s Contract of Employment. The salary will be £12.00/hour paid monthly in arrears by direct transfer. The gross annual salary will be £3,744. Remuneration will be reviewed on an annual basis.
Access to a stakeholder pension scheme is available after three months’ continuous service. Further details are available on request.
There will be a six-month probationary period with a three-month review point. An appraisal will take place to confirm completion of the probationary period and appraisals will take place annually thereafter. During the probationary period one week’s notice of termination of employment will be required on either side; thereafter one month’s notice on either side will be required.
Annual paid holiday entitlement is 28 days pro-rata. Leave should be arranged in advance with the nominated trustee, and every effort should be made to ensure volunteers are in place to operate the café on occasions when the post-holder may be away.
The line manager will review regularly with the post-holder the duties and responsibilities and discuss development, common concerns and opportunities for training. Any overtime needs to be agreed in advance with the treasurer and will be paid at the hourly rate.
How to Apply
Application forms are available from the chair of trustees, Stuart Singleton. Please email Stuart if you are interested in applying for this role: firstname.lastname@example.org